Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Crash and Burn

Hey all-

Tuesday here. For those of you who read this blog regularly, you'll remember a post I made a while back about Cinderella Man being re-released right before its DVD release date. Now, I believe that was done to bost DVD sales, but I have since been advised that it was done only because the filmakers wanted to remind the folks at the Academy about it for Oscar consideration. I'm of the personal opinion that if your film isn't good enough to be remembered 6 months later, it doesn't deserve any oscars anyway.
So, today I'm looking at movie news and I read an article that said that the film Wedding Crashers (with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson) will be re-released in theatres in early January, on the weekend before its DVD release date. Unless you're going to tell me that Wedding Crashers is trying to get Oscar attention (which is ridiculous), the only explanation is that it's all about boosting DVD sales. I still think this is a really bad idea and here's why. Despite my opinion that a movie only should get one shot at Box Office Gold (it's only fair), what concerns me is that if this trend continues, it's possible that we'll see a massive reduction in new releases over the next few years. So, we could be in a situation where we'll only get new films for part of the year, and the rest of the year will be re-realeses in an attempt to boost box office sales.
As usual, the average American public won't notice- they'll stumble blindly to the theatre as usual, swiping their credit cards at ticket kiosks not caring about what they see, but only looking for a place to sit down where they don't have to think or communicate with their families. I know so far that it's only two movies and two weekends, but it looks like Hollywood execs are testing the waters. I'll post more on this as it happens, hopefully there'll be something that can be done.
Cinderella Man made about 18 mil on its opening weekend, and about 61 mil overall, while Wedding Crashers made 33 mil in its opening weekend and about 209 mil overall (results from boxofficemojo.com). So maybe my argument that the studios didn't have faith in these films is wrong, but I think the rest of that still stands. Also, you can see this happening on DVD too, with the re-realising of movies in the guise of various "special editions". Well, that's all I got on this for now, I'll post more later.

Love, Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home