Sunday, January 01, 2006

On New Year's Day

Hey Hey All-

I promised more new posts, so here you go. It's the first in a Best/Worst of the year series. All the critics are getting their lists out now, so I thought I'd hop on the bandwagon and post my stuff too. The first in this group is the Top 5 Best Films of the year. Keep in mind that I didn't get to see as many films as I wanted, they've just gotten too expensive. So, this list is just based on movies I saw.

#5: Hostage
I saw this film early in 2005, during the January/February movie dead zone. At first, this movie seemed like an action cliche- Bruce Willis Vs. bad guys. But, if you peel back the layers, there's some interesting stuff going on. They make you question the hero's motives and still like him all the while. It's a little over the top at times, but it hooks you in right away and keeps you into it until the end. It's definitely worth a look.

#4: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
War of the Worlds almost beat this out for the #4 spot, but I had to go on which movie I enjoyed more while watching. I liked War of the Worlds more after I thought about it, but this excited me more during the screening. I felt like a little kid again right after Lucy goes into Narnia for the first time. This movie worked for me on almost every level, from script, to acting, to direction. Good stuff.

#3: Lord of War
Another surprise. I didn't quite know what to expect from this movie. It's something of a cross between Goodfellas and Fight Club, only about gun running. Nicholas Cage turns in some great work here. The film is a good mix of action and comedy. It also had a surprising moral to the story, about being careful who you become and what you leave behind. Not to mention a really cool opening title sequence.

#2: Batman Begins
This year was full of surprises. I never thought that a summer blockbuster/sequel franchise movie would make my best of list, but here we are. This movie is the best take on the Batman character yet. I've always been of the opinion that becoming the hero is more exciting than being the hero. This movie also has a dark, moody look to it which I like as well. It's one of the best superhero movies around, next to Superman and X2. The sequel should be exciting.

And the winner is:

#1 Munich
Steven Spielberg is awesome. No question about it. He's had two hits this year, with War of the Worlds. This film is different, unlike any Spielberg movie before. It's also dark and moody, delving into morality and whether or not revenge can ever be justified. This is possibly the best film I've seen so far this decade. I was so hooked into the story, and I know I'll be seeing this again on DVD.


There you go. There were some runners up, like War of the Worlds, Star Wars III, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. There were also some others I didn't get to see, and some that were in the middle for me, like Fantastic Four or King Kong. I'll be back in a few days posting more of this stuff, we've still got The Worst, DVDs, and TV stuff to cover. Stay tuned-

Love, Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home